The question of the hour! After the giddiness wears off from finally booking that shoot you’ve been wanting to do, you fall back on the couch and think, “Oh no! What are we gonna wear?!!”
I get asked by clients a lot about what they should wear and where they should shop! Clothing is definitely a big part of pulling off the look you may be trying to achieve, and since you are going to all the trouble to finally get these pictures then sometimes it’s worth splurging a little on some fun accessories!!
Out are the days of wearing all white shirts and jeans or matching blacks and khakis These days photography is lending itself to a more fun and bold approach. The goal is to have everyone complement each other without being too “matchy -matchy.” Try to avoid big logos or images of characters on t-shirts. Don’t be afraid to have fun with bold colors and fun patterns! But by all means be YOU! Dress in what’s comfy and what makes YOU feel good!
A couple tips would be:
1. Try to find a base color that you are working from and then coordinate a few other colors accordingly. Not everyone needs to wear the coordinating colors, just splashes of it here and there. For example, mom could wear a gray dress with a yellow cardigan, dad a blue shirt with gray slacks, son a gray shirt, and daughter a yellow dress with a blue necklace.
2. LAYER clothes and accessorize! Guys can wear jackets, scarves, hats, rolled-up button-up shirts (even a fun bow tie or suspenders), etc. Girls can accessorize by wearing fun coordinating jewelry, cardigans, fun shoes (bold or dainty flats, bold high heels, boots, etc.), fun hairpieces, belts, funky scarves, hats, etc.
3. You don’t have to wear ALL solids! Yes, you want to try to steer away from everyone wearing clashing patterns but some fun patterns can be a great touch!
4. Think about where you are wanting to place these priceless pieces of art. If you want a large canvas print of your children to place in a playroom that is full of bright colors, it might be a good idea to do a more bold color session with fun props and stand out colors. That same fun picture might look a bit out of place in a formal dining room. Does that make sense? Please shoot me an email and I would LOVE to discuss with you some ideas on creating the perfect setting and the perfect outfits for your family.
5. Last, and most important, wear something that years later you can look back on and not cringe (haha)! Meaning…BE YOU! Wear what you love and what makes you feel fun, comfortable, and beautiful! No matter how traditional or cRaZy you wanna go with it, just don’t neglect who you are and let it shine!
Some places I LOVE to get extra little add-ons are:
- ETSY! It is definitely my go to place for getting adorable props, fun unique pieces of clothing, and everything in between!
- Zulily is a GREAT place to find designer and downright adorable clothes and accessories for a fraction of the cost!
- Matilda Jane (adorable clothes and accessories for girls)
- http://www.etsy.com/shop/babybystevie (fun accessories for boys)
- Zozobugbaby (fun bright colors)
- JCrew and Crewcuts / Gap and Gap Kids
- http://www.etsy.com/shop/rosebudlips (beautiful accessories!)
No matter what you decide to wear, remember to just have fun with it!!!!